12.12.2011

Get Involved

In previous posts, I outlined several reasons for writing a blog.  Less than ten posts later, my goals are already evolving.  Since this is my first blog, I anticipate constant changes.  That means you'll have to keep reading, lest you miss out on this excitement.

The first is that I want you to get involved.  I want your advice, and here’s why:

I have spent a year searching for a job outside law enforcement.  During the first six months, I was not particularly motivated.  I sent out a few applications, but didn’t do much else.  Since mid-summer, when I finished graduate school, my motivation has increased steadily.  I began to put more effort in to the search and try new approaches.  I updated my LinkedIn page, started a log of all my applications, reached out to most of my network, and began sending out more and more applications.   Unfortunately, nothing seemed to stick.

I have applied to more than 300 jobs since June, but all I have to show for it is one phone interview (after which I was turned down).  I can no longer blame the economy.  The problem is me.  I have a rock-solid job history, a great education, a sense of humor, and the willingness to move anywhere for the right job.  This means that I am doing something wrong, but I can’t figure out what.  That is where you come in.  I welcome any constructive criticism or helpful advice (along with comments totally unrelated to my job search).  Maybe somebody out there on the interweb can help me fix the glitch.

I’ll start with a question: How do I market myself to industries outside of law enforcement?  What are some ways that I can set myself up for success as I seek jobs in sales, management, marketing, or operations?

Until next time.

-Taft

3 comments:

  1. Hi Taft, me again! To answer your questions, target an industry and find out what is needed to succeed in that industry. Ask a corporate officer or board of trustee member, depending upon which way you want to go, for-profit or non-profit, what it takes to make it to the position you want to obtain. Then, tailor your resume to call out those qualities. As a police officer, you had many talents that you may not realize are marketable to others - talk it out with someone in the field into which you want to move.

    Using the positions you have noted, I would start by setting up an informational interview with someone local who you respect. Let them know you are changing career fields and would like to talk with them about how to be successful in one of those positions. I would narrow it down though - sales and marketing is completely different from management and operations!

    Have you met with a job coach or sat with a friend to really talk about your passions and where your "sweet spot" is? This really helps, as once you know your passion areas and strengths, it will help you to tailor your search a bit.

    Don't give up! Hang in there, keep submitting the resumes and going to the interviews...but also improve those areas in which you find you are not succeeding. Management individuals LOVE to know you have been reading, go out and grab some management and leadership books.

    Just a few thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shell,

    That all sounds like excellent advice. I am lucky to have a mother who who has decades of experience (and is quite successful) in the sales and marketing industry, which is my main goal. She is free with the advice, but it sounds like I should ask her to connect me with others who can supplement her advice.

    I'm glad to hear that management likes to know about what prospects read. I am an avid (maybe even voracious) reader. Just last night, I finished an excellent management book written by Captain Mike Abrashoff titled "It's Your Ship". I am also a HUGE fan of Jim Collins, who wrote "Good to Great." There are a lot more great books I read in grad school that I can always dust off and read again.

    Thanks again for all your advice. It's great to have someone with knowledge and experience to help provide some direction.

    -Taft

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taft, it sounds like you are on the right track! And I love that you just added a blog about what you have read...I found a few new reads on it! :) Jim Collins is amazing and that book is often known by great leaders...I admit I judge my future bosses by whether they know that book or not!

    The Leadership Challenge and Lead Like Jesus are two I would recommend reading again, if you don't fully remember it. I had to read them during Servant Leadership in my grad school program and it may have still been around by the time you got there!

    ReplyDelete